During the pre-move survey we will advise whether your effects will be shipped in their own container or as part of a shared load consignment.

Most shipments are loaded into steel shipping containers. Sole use containers will normally be packed outside your home, sealed  and transported directly to the docks for shipment. Alternatively, if your move is not big enough to fill a container we will transfer them to our consolidation warehouse where they will be stored safely until being loaded jointly with other loads traveling to the same destination.

Moving Abroad:

Should you wish to move your car along with your household effects, A1 On The Move are able to offer this in either your own sole use container or as part of a share consignment.

Items required urgently at the destination can be sent by air. A1 On The Move will pack these in to airline approved cartons or cases. For smaller consignments to remote destinations, your effects can be case packed for shared loading.

We will create a detailed tailor-made move plan, including exactly what you want moving and whether the packing team need any special equipment or materials to move large or unusual items. We will make sure that the removal of every single item in your home is included in the plan, even things tucked out of sight in loft spaces or cupboards.

All small items are wrapped in paper then carefully placed in strong cartons. All furniture and larger items are wrapped in multi-layer export grade wrappers. Card can be used for extra protection.

Tips and Advice:

The Planning a move abroad is very different from domestic moves. There are many more things to consider and it may take longer then you expect. It can take up to 14 weeks to ship your belongings abroad so you must be organised and leave out anything that you may need for this duration. You will be able to take some of your belongings by plane with you but do check the weight restrictions on your airlines as they can differ.


If you pack the boxes yourself they will have to labeled on the inventory as PBO ( Packed By Owner) and this can make customs more likely to examine your belongings sometimes causing you a delay and extra costs that would out way what you have saved by packing yourself. If you do pack make sure you start as soon as you know you are moving. Do not leave this until you have an exchange date. For overseas moves it is best to start packing and getting yourself organised 12 weeks before you move, even earlier if possible.


You don't want to take items you never use half way around the world. Shipping costs can be expensive for items you never really use. Dispose of anything you no longer use and sort out paperwork. It is also a perfect time to get on top of filing, contact and cancel any policies you will no longer need.

Electrical Goods:

Check whether your electrical goods will work in your destination country, this includes mains supply and compatibility. In the case of DVD's they will only work in the region that they are prepared for, the same applies to videos. TV's will work differently in Europe say to the USA so check the government website for the country of your destination.


Once you have a completion date contact all relevant companies and services i.e. gas, electric, council, water. See who to contact by using our handy printable list.


Visit your local health clinic to arrange for any vaccinations you may need, It is advised to do this at least Six weeks before you travel.


If you are taking pets abroad, make sure that all vaccinations are up to date.


If you are on any medication make sure you have enough. If you need regular prescriptions then take any medical letters and a copy of your prescription with you. This will help the doctor in your new country, as medical notes can take some time to arrive by post.

Medical Cover:

If you are traveling within the European Union then you are entitled to free or reduced cost medical treatment for a limited period . The European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) gives access to state-provided medical treatment only in a European Economic Area (EEA) country or Switzerland.


Make sure you have all the correct paperwork regarding Visa's and remember to check that your passport is still in date.


If you have any savings it is very important to contact the bank. If your account includes the facility to make a “not ordinarily resident” declaration you can arrange for your interest to be paid without deduction of tax. Your building society or bank will be able to advice you more.


Contact the UK Pensions Service to talk through your options regarding your state pension. If you are moving to a EEA country (European Economic area) or one of the other countries that have a special agreement with the UK you will still be entitled to receive a pension if you have made the relevant contributions.